Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cabbage and pasta lovers unite for this simple sweet-and-sour side dish.
- 1 cup uncooked rotini pasta or 1 cup other spiral shaped pasta (3 to 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Cook cabbage in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar, vinegar and caraway seed.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
- Stir Pasta into cabbage mixture; heat until hot.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
This made for a wonderful side to go with my pork tenderloin. I especially enjoyed the sweet and tangy flavor of the brown sugar and vinegar. I used Splenda brown sugar. I subbed regular cabbage for the red cabbage because that was what I had on hand. I thought I had rotini pasta, but I was all out so I subbed no yolk egg noodles. Made for Honor Thy Mother - and be Gluten-Free, too! Tag Game.
I made this a year ago with pasta, and just now as a side dish, leaving it out. This is a great way to have cabbage. For me the flavors were mild but good.
Great cabbage dish, my family adores it! we added sausage adn garlic to it to give it a little extra zing, and left out the caraway seeds and it turned out great!