Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Posting this for Zaar World Tour 2. Prep/cook time does not include setting/aging time.
Make and share this German Style Mustard recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cup mustard powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 small white onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- In a small bowl, combine mustard seed and dry mustard; set aside.
- In a 1- to 2-quart non-aluminum pan, combine remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered, on medium heat until reduced by half, 10-15 minutes. Pour the mixture into the mustard mixture. Let mixture soak at room temperature 24 to 48 hours; adding additional vinegar if necessary in order to maintain enough liquid to cover seeds.
- Process the seeds and mixture in a blender or food processor until pureed to the texture you like (this can take at least 3 or 4 minutes).
- The mixture will thicken upon standing.
- If it gets too thick after a few days, stir in additional vinegar. Scrape mustard into clean, dry jars; cover tightly and age at least 3 days.
I was disappointed with this recipe. First of all, it's quite bitter. Any ideas why? I soaked the seeds in the vinegar/spice/sugar mixture for 24 hours. Should they have soaked longer? It did noticeably improve as it aged, but not enough. Also, it did not taste at all sweet. I would double the brown sugar. And, it did not have the "clear your nose" quality that another reviewer said it had and which I prefer.
I have made this three times in the last month. Everyone that tastes it wants a jar. My 17 yr old Grandson even made his own batch, using my supplies of course. It is delishious. Spicey and sweet. Lovely.
Whoa! Major sinus-cleaner here! Just like I like my mustard...HOT!!! Left out the onion - don't know why, just didn't think I'd want it in my mustard. Made this 4 days ago and had it a few minutes ago on a ham and cheese sandwich. Loved the subtle spicing. Good mustard.