Recipe by Chris Reynolds
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine.
Top Review by Clean Plate Club
Loved this. Only change I made was using only one apple and adding a little butter to the mash. Served it tonight with pork schnitzel, sweet and sour red cabbage and green beans with lemon butter.
- 3 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes; add apples and cook 10 minutes longer, or until both apples and potatoes are tender.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain bacon on paper towels. Reserve 1 tbsp drippings in pan.
- Saute onions in reserved drippings until lightly browned.
- Drain potatoes and apples. Add sugar, vinegar, and salt; mash lightly. (These will still be lumpy.) Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with onions and bacon.