Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I added ground sausage as a filling and these German Kolaches and the taste was wonderful. Enjoy them.
- 2 cups milk, scalded (or very warm)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 6 cups flour, unsifted
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 packages mini cocktail franks (or use ground sausage)
- In large mixing bowl pour hot water sprinkle yeast over hot water. Set aside. Heat milk until very warm to touch, add sugar and salt to mild. Stir until sugar is dissolved, add eggs and oil to milk mixture. Stir well. Pour milk into yeast in bowl and stir.
- Pour in 2 cups flour and mix well. Beat to remove lumps. Continue to add 2 cups flour at a time and mix well after addition. Cover with cloth, sit in a warm place and let rise for 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- Pour 1/2 dough onto floured board roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter. Place mini-cocktail franks or ground sausage onto one circle, top with the second circle and press edges together with fork.
- Place in greased baking sheet one inch apart. Brush tops with oil. Let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 375ºF. for 15 minutes or until brown. Brush top with butter. Serve warm.