1/1 Photo of German Style Green Kale (Gruenkohl)
1 hr 30 mins
I am posting this for my father, who tried a version of this recipe at the Sion Brauhaus in Cologne, Germany when he was here visiting us. He enjoyed it so much, that he asked me to find a recipe for him. This recipe, as translated directly from the German version I found in "Koch Vernuegen Wie Noch Nie" is very close to what he tried. Bacon grease is really quite essential here for the flavor - please try not to use a substitute as it just won't taste quite the same. You may use any type of cooked sausage you like, however, if you decide to throw some in at the end of the cooking process. In the area of Germany I currently live in, you would most often see bratwurst added to the kale. I am guessing on the cook time as I have not acutally made this myself yet. I will warn you that this is a very ugly looking dish and may be considered an acquired taste for some, although I find it quite delicious personally.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the kale in lukewarm warm very well several times to remove all grit and dirt- do not dry them off- leave them dripping wet.
- 2Remove the hard stems from the leaves and then place the kale into a pot, put the lid on, and let it cook over medium heat until it wilts- this won't be terribly long.
- 3Drain in colander and then dry the leaves completely.
- 4Coarsley chop the kale.
- 5Heat the bacon grease in a skillet, add onion and cook until brown, stirring often.
- 6Add the kale to the pan, along with salt and pepper to taste, a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, and a pinch of sugar.
- 7Add the beef broth to the vegetables and stir to mix.
- 8Cover and let cook 45 minutes- it should get very, very tender and will be very, very soft.
- 9If you prefer, briefly cook some bratwurst in hot water according to the package directions, then add them to the pot in the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- 10Check seasonings again before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Style Green Kale (Gruenkohl)
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.1
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 93.1 mg
- Sodium 1889.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 23.9 g