1/2 Photos of German-Style Fried Potatoes
Boiling the potatoes and chilling them overnight makes them easy to cut and saute. From Bon Appetit October 2009. Time does not reflect chilling the potatoes over night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs unpeeled medium-size red potatoes
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons malt vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons lard or 6 tablespoons rendered bacon fat or 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- coarse kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons lager beer, divided
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped red onions, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh chives (green parts only) or 1/3 cup green onion, chopped (green parts only)
- 1Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender when pierced with sharp knife, about 25 minutes.
- 3Refrigerate potatoes overnight.
- 4Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (do not peel).
- 5Whisk oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend for vinaigrette.
- 6Heat 3 tablespoons lard in each of 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-high heat.
- 7Add half of potatoes to each skillet; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- 8Sauté until potatoes begin to brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- 9Add 3 tablespoons beer, then 1 1/4 cups red onions to potatoes in each skillet; cook until beer evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.
- 10Reduce heat to medium and sauté until potatoes are brown around edges, about 5 minutes.
- 11Pour half of vinaigrette over potatoes in each skillet and toss to coat.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14Transfer all potatoes to large bowl.
- 15Sprinkle with chives.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German-Style Fried Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 46.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 3.7 g