Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Boiling the potatoes and chilling them overnight makes them easy to cut and saute. From Bon Appetit October 2009. Time does not reflect chilling the potatoes over night.
- 4 lbs unpeeled medium-size red potatoes
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons malt vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons lard or 6 tablespoons rendered bacon fat or 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- coarse kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons lager beer, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped red onions, divided
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives (green parts only) or 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped (green parts only)
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender when pierced with sharp knife, about 25 minutes.
- Refrigerate potatoes overnight.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (do not peel).
- Whisk oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend for vinaigrette.
- Heat 3 tablespoons lard in each of 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-high heat.
- Add half of potatoes to each skillet; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Sauté until potatoes begin to brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons beer, then 1 1/4 cups red onions to potatoes in each skillet; cook until beer evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté until potatoes are brown around edges, about 5 minutes.
- Pour half of vinaigrette over potatoes in each skillet and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer all potatoes to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with chives.
Yum! The bacon flavor and tangy vinegar are perfect for potatoes. I loved the way the potatoes were a bit crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. This makes a nice side dish for anything you would serve poitato salad with. Thanx for sharing!
We all liked the vinegar/bacon flavours with the potatoes - will be making this one again. Made for ZWT 6.
incredible bacon and vinegar flavor.. like my favorite German potato salad