1/8 Photos of German-Style Crisp Potato Pancakes
Another of my favorite recipes from the Sunset International Cookbook. The original recipe called for peeled and chopped raw potatoes but I've never had good luck using raw potatoes for this recipe. Therefore my adaptation is to use leftover cooked (mashed) potatoes. Can be served as a main meal sidedish or for breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, slightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- salt or pepper
- sour cream, if desired for topping
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter (for frying)
- 1In a large bowl combine the mashed potatoes with the lemon juice and stir well.
- 2In a dry bowl, combine the onion, caraway seeds, fresh parsley, flour, egg and milk.
- 3Stir in potatoes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4Over medium heat, melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter in a wide frying pan.
- 5When butter starts to foam add about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture, spreading into a 4 inch pancake. Repeat to make 2 or 3 more cakes, enough to fill the pan but not overcrowd.
- 6Cook, turn once, until golden brown on both sides about 5 minutes per side. Add more butter as needed to fry pancakes.
- 7Using a wide spatula, lift pancakes from pan and transfer to warming tray in low oven at 200 degrees. Continue cooking remainder of potato mixture.
- 8Keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh parsley and top with sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German-Style Crisp Potato Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.4
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.5 mg
- Sodium 982.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 8.6 g