Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is a version of German style cutlets I have been making for years. It is somewhat loosely based on a similar recipe for veal cutlets I found in Luchows German Cookbook years ago. If you prefer veal, by all means use veal in place of the chicken,but I always use chicken.
Top Review by PanNan
The whole family loved these breaded cutlets. The crust was crispy and full of flavor. The chicken was moist and tender. We served the sauce over pasta with lemon zest and chives added. Very yummy! It will be a regular in our household.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded thinly
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for coating cutlets as needed
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, divided
- 1 lemon
- 4 slices leerdamer cheese or 4 slices swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, as garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Before you begin, make sure your chicken cutlets are pounded thinly (place chicken piece between two sheets of wax paper and pound with a meat mallet).
- In a bowl, combine 2 Tbsp flour,Parmesan, egg, minced parlsey, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and milk using a whisk.
- Set some additional flour in a wide dish and dip each cutlet into the flour just to coat both sides lightly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and melt 4 Tbsp butter in the pan.
- While the butter is melting, dip each floured cutlet into the milk mixture and add to the skillet.
- Cook cutlets until golden and tender on each side- about 3-5 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Just before they are done cooking, top each piece with a slice of cheese and let melt.
- Remve cutlets to a platter and keep warm.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp butter in the same pan until darkened.
- While the butter is heating, cut the lemon in half.
- Squeeze half of the lemon and add the juice to the skillet.
- Stir and drizzle lemon butter over the cutlets as desired to taste- this will be very thin.
- Garnish each plate with a sprig of parsley.
- Slice remaining 1/2 lemon into thin slices and place on top of cutlets cutlets as a garnish.