1/5 Photos of German-Style Beef Roast for the Crock Pot
8 hrs 25 mins
Red wine or beef broth, chopped dill pickles, and zesty mustard set this succulent beef pot roast apart from the rest. The cooking time makes it just right to set in the morning and have dinner ready when you get home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots (2)
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 large)
- 1 cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped kosher dill pickle (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup German mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or 2 tablespoons beef broth
- hot cooked spaetzle noodles or cooked noodles
- snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1Trim fat from meat.
- 2If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- 3In a large skillet brown the meat on all sides in hot oil and drain fat.
- 4In the cooker, combine the carrots, onions, celery, and pickles.
- 5Place the meat on top of vegetables.
- 6In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup red wine, the mustard, pepper, cloves, and bay leaves.
- 7Pour over meat and vegetables in cooker.
- 8Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- 9Remove the meat from the cooker and place on a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- 10FOR GRAVY:.
- 11Transfer vegetables and cooking liquid to a 2-quart saucepan.
- 12Skim fat and discard bay leaves.
- 13In a small bowl, stir together flour and the 2 tablespoons wine. Stir into the mixture in saucepan.
- 14Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 15Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve with vegetables, gravy, and hot cooked spaetzle.
- 16If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German-Style Beef Roast for the Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.7
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 227.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: