TwoTravelling Chefs's Note:
Although my grandmother Mamke was German, Aunts and Uncles hailed from Slovenia. This Strudel recipe, prevalent in both countries, has my personal twist to it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2On a large area sprinkle half the flour, place the rectangle of puff pastry on the flour, Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough, as well as on your rolling pin and roll the dough, as thin as you can get it, so that it forms an even rectangle approximately 18 inches long by 12 inches wide.
- 3Gently brush off the excess flour with a dry towel or soft brush.
- 4Dip the brush in the melted butter and lightly coat the dough rectangle (save a little to help seal the ends later and to brush over the top).
- 5Sprinkle the dough evenly with the bread crumbs and 3 Tbsp brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- 6With the long end facing you start placing the cranberries, apples, peaches, along the bottom, keeping about 1 inch away from the edge of the dough. I like to keep my fruit slices a bit larger than the original recipe, giving it more firmness when baked.
- 7Brush the perimeter with some of the melted butter .
- 8Now gently start rolling away from you, gathering any fruit that gets loose. My grandmother and father used to spread the flour and dough on a tea towel which helped them to roll the streudel with ease.
- 9Finish rolling the dough and seal the edges. Place on a non stick cookie sheet and shape into a large U.
- 10Lightly top with the remaining butter and sugar.
- 11Bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes, till nicely browned on top. Remove from oven and let the streudel sit for 10-15 minutes then with a large spatula move to a plate.
- 12Slice a piece or two, serve with french vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of caramel and enjoy.
- 13what about combining any two of the following fruits: Pear, Plum, Kiwi, Banana, Apricot.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Strudel With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.1
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 100.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g