4 hrs 30 mins
I translated this from "Frau im Trend," a German cooking magazine. Cook time is actually all chilling time. This is a pretty creamy gelatin based torte chock full of fresh strawberries. It is bright pink and would be a nice treat for a special Valentine's Day dinner or would be a real showstopper for the Fourth of July.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the crust
- 125 g sweet unsalted butter, melted
- 150 g shortbread cookies or 150 g vanilla wafers, crushed into crumbs
For the filling
- 12 leaves plain gelatin
- 750 g fresh strawberries, washed,hulled,quartered
- 100 ml carbonated lemon-lime beverage (such as Sprite)
- 2 teaspoons tequila
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1Mix together melted butter with cookie crumbs and form a crust in the bottom of a parchment lined 26 cm size springform pan, using a spoon to help press firmly; chill 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 2Place gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water to soften.
- 3Portion out 750 grams of the berries into a blender and puree along with tequila, lemon-lime soda, 150 grams sugar, and the lemon juice.
- 4Remove the gelatin leaves from the water and squeeze out the extra moisture.
- 5Place gelatin in a saucpean and cook over low heat until melted, remove from heat.
- 6Add a small amount of the berry puree into the gelatin and whisk together (this is to temper it- do not skip), then pour the gelatin mixture into the rest of the puree and mix together; chill in fridge 30 minutes.
- 7Beat the cream until soft peaks form, and then gently fold into the partly gelled mixture until combined.
- 8Pour into the crust, smooth evenly with a spatula, and chill 3 hours.
- 9Take 100 grams of the remaining berries and puree along with 1 tsp.
- 11Remove the outer ring from the springform pan and pour the puree over the top.
- 12Decoratively place the remaining berry slices on top of the torte, completely covering the surface.
- 13Toss nuts with powdered sugar- then press the nuts in a ring around the outer edge (or just sprinkle them on top if you prefer- or omit them).
- 14Garnish if desired with some fresh sprigs of mint or lemon balm.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Strawberry Margarita Torte
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.6
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 110.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: