4 hrs 30 mins
I translated this from "Frau im Trend," a German cooking magazine. Cook time is actually all chilling time. This is a pretty creamy gelatin based torte chock full of fresh strawberries. It is bright pink and would be a nice treat for a special Valentine's Day dinner or would be a real showstopper for the Fourth of July.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the crust
- 125 g sweet unsalted butter, melted
- 150 g shortbread cookies or 150 g vanilla wafers, crushed into crumbs
For the filling
- 12 leaves plain gelatin
- 750 g fresh strawberries, washed,hulled,quartered
- 100 ml carbonated lemon-lime beverage (such as Sprite)
- 2 teaspoons tequila
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1Mix together melted butter with cookie crumbs and form a crust in the bottom of a parchment lined 26 cm size springform pan, using a spoon to help press firmly; chill 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 2Place gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water to soften.
- 3Portion out 750 grams of the berries into a blender and puree along with tequila, lemon-lime soda, 150 grams sugar, and the lemon juice.
- 4Remove the gelatin leaves from the water and squeeze out the extra moisture.
- 5Place gelatin in a saucpean and cook over low heat until melted, remove from heat.
- 6Add a small amount of the berry puree into the gelatin and whisk together (this is to temper it- do not skip), then pour the gelatin mixture into the rest of the puree and mix together; chill in fridge 30 minutes.
- 7Beat the cream until soft peaks form, and then gently fold into the partly gelled mixture until combined.
- 8Pour into the crust, smooth evenly with a spatula, and chill 3 hours.
- 9Take 100 grams of the remaining berries and puree along with 1 tsp.
- 11Remove the outer ring from the springform pan and pour the puree over the top.
- 12Decoratively place the remaining berry slices on top of the torte, completely covering the surface.
- 13Toss nuts with powdered sugar- then press the nuts in a ring around the outer edge (or just sprinkle them on top if you prefer- or omit them).
- 14Garnish if desired with some fresh sprigs of mint or lemon balm.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Strawberry Margarita Torte
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.6
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 110.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: