1 hr 30 mins
My mother-in-law gave me this awesome recipe for a sweat bread treat. My husband used to eat a whole one with milk when he was studying in college. It sounds like it is very time consuming, but the work is a little bit here, and a little bit there. It fits in well with a busy, at-home schedule . . when you are cleaning, doing laundry, or just hanging out. My family enjoys this any time of the day. This recipe makes two. I icing one up, and freeze the other for later. When you are ready, take the stolen out and set on countertop overnight. Icing it up and enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2Melt 1/2 Cup of butter in 1/2 cup milk. Let cool till lukewarm.
- 3Dissolve 1 packet of rapid rise yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Stir into yeast mixture 1/4 C sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 egg slightly beaten.
- 5Add milk and butter mixture to yeast mixture.
- 6Stir in 3 /12 - 4 1/2 cups flour. You'll know when you have enough flour because the bread mixture isn't sticky any more and the sides of the mixing bowl are clean.
- 7Set aside and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour). If your kitchen isn't warm, you can pre-heat the oven to warm. Turn the oven off and set the bowl inside.
- 8COCOA MIXTURE:.
- 9Combine 1/2 C sugar, 2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa, and 1 cup of ground almonds.
- 10Add milk until spreading consistency. Not too thin. Sticky and spreadable.
- 11PREPARE STOLEN.
- 12Punch down dough and split into halves.
- 13Roll dough into rectangle and place on large baking sheet.
- 14Spread inside mixture down middle of rectangle.
- 15Fold right side over cocoa mixture. Fold the left side over the top (overlap).
- 16Let rise 30-45 minutes.
- 17Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 191 Cup of Powdered Sugar.
- 201 t Almond Extract.
- 21Add milk until spreading consistency.
- 22This recipe makes two German Stolens. Icing one, and freeze the other for later yummies.
Nutritional Facts for German Stollen With Cocoa and Almonds
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1113.0
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 111.7 mg
- Sodium 822.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 171.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 68.2 g
- Protein 21.9 g