Recipe by Olha
Many Germans are partial to ground meats, and one of the most famous ground-beef dishes they serve is Steak Tartare. Traditionally, the beef for this unusual dish is chopped or ground very fine and served as soon as possible thereafter. It is shaped into a loaf, a well is pressed into the center, and an egg yolk is carefully dropped into the well. The meat is surrounded with capers, onions, parsley, and anchovy fillets; salt and pepper are on the side. The beef is then combined with all the condiments at the table in front of the guests, and is served with plenty of dark bread, butter, and frosty-cold steins of dark beer. This version is just as good but is prepared before your guests arrive and molded into a decorative ring shape. Be sure to use only the finest beef--prime, if available! McCall's Cooking School
- 2 (1 ounce) cansflat anchovy fillets
- 1 small onion
- 2 lbs ground beef round
- 1⁄2 cup capers, drained
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 12 pieces red peppers, in 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 (1 lb) canspitted ripe black olives
- watercress leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil the inside of a 5-cup ring mold.
- Drain oil off anchovy fillets; separate and drain each on paper towels.
- Chop 4 of the fillets very finely and leave remaining whole; set aside.
- Chop onion very finelyyou should have 1/2 cup.
- Put chopped anchovy, chopped onion, ground beef, capers, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, toss and mix until very well combined.
- Taste, and if necessary, add more seasonings.
- Mixture should be highly seasoned.
- Spoon meat mixture into the prepared ring mold, pressing down firmly with the back of a wooden spoon to pack tightly and remove all air holes.
- Cover meat-filled mold tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 2 to 3 hours or until ready to serve.
- To unmold: Uncover ring mold.
- Using a small knife, loosen meat mixture from edges of mold.
- Place a serving dish upside down on top of mold; invert mold and serving dish.
- Shake firmly to release meat mixture; remove mold.
- To garnish and serve: Arrange anchovies on top of meat mixture in a crisscross fashion and garnish with red pepper cubes.
- Drain olives; mound in center of ring mold.
- Arrange watercress around edge of meat.
- Be sure to keep the Steak Tartare refrigerated until ready to serve.
- It is especially good served on unsalted saltine crackers, English water biscuits, or small rounds of rye bread.