Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a traditional German Mennonite recipe from my family in Ohio.
Make and share this German Spinach Salad With Hot Bacon Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced and browned
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat, reserved from bacon
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) package Baby Spinach, pre-washed and ready to eat
- Prepare bacon and reserve 4 Tbl of bacon fat for dressing. Combine bacon fat and flour in medium saucepan and heat over medium low heat until mixture is nutty brown. Slowly add water and whisk until thickened and smooth. Add sugar and vinegar and combine. Keep dressing warm until ready to serve.
- In large bowl, place spinach, bacon, onion and eggs. Pour warm dressing over salad and serve immediately. (Be careful to only use enough dressing as needed. You can refrigerate the leftover dressing for another meal.).
This is one great salad. The only change I made was to cut the serving in half as there's only 2 of us and we BOTH loved it. It reminded me of a salad my Mom used to make for us when I was little and she'd forgotten how it was done. The tangy-sweet hot dressing made for a wonderful compliment to the salad and it was easy to prepare. Thanks for a recipe we'll be keeping in our rotation from now on.
Delicious, even with my healthy changes! I bought turkey bacon because I am trying to cut some of the fat out of my diet. As I was cooking it I realized I wasn't going to have really any bacon fat for the base of the dressing. So, I used 2 tbsps of butter and 2 tbsps of olive oil instead. I did need a little more flour to get the right consistentcy and approximately an extra tbsp and a half of red wine vinegar. The result I am sure is no where near the flavor of the real bacon fat dressing, which I do hope to try someday, but it was very very good. Thank you much for sharing.
This is very similar to my Nana's bacon dressing. Hers was a little sweeter, but this recipe is easier and just as good. I had about 1 cup of dressing leftover for future use. The warm dressing is great on any type of lettuce or greens. Thanx for sharing your version. It brought back memories of yummy holiday dinners from 20+ years ago!