Recipe by Mama Cee Jay
This is a traditional German Mennonite recipe from my family in Ohio.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
This is one great salad. The only change I made was to cut the serving in half as there's only 2 of us and we BOTH loved it. It reminded me of a salad my Mom used to make for us when I was little and she'd forgotten how it was done. The tangy-sweet hot dressing made for a wonderful compliment to the salad and it was easy to prepare. Thanks for a recipe we'll be keeping in our rotation from now on.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced and browned
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat, reserved from bacon
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) package Baby Spinach, pre-washed and ready to eat
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare bacon and reserve 4 Tbl of bacon fat for dressing. Combine bacon fat and flour in medium saucepan and heat over medium low heat until mixture is nutty brown. Slowly add water and whisk until thickened and smooth. Add sugar and vinegar and combine. Keep dressing warm until ready to serve.
- In large bowl, place spinach, bacon, onion and eggs. Pour warm dressing over salad and serve immediately. (Be careful to only use enough dressing as needed. You can refrigerate the leftover dressing for another meal.).