Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I found this recipe on a german forum page. Since I am German I miss the german bread a lot. I think this one comes german bread very close.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour (one half can be rye flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour (one third can be rye flour)
- mix yeast with warm water.
- mix yeast mixture with flour.
- let stand for 24 hours at a warm place.
- mix sourdough with warm water, salt, oil and flour.
- knead until smooth and allow to rise for 30 minutes at a warm place.
- knead dough and shape into loaf.
- Place loaf on a cookiesheet and let 30 minutes rise.
- cut 2-3 1/4 inch deep slashes into loaf.
- preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and bake for 1 hour.