Montana Heart Song's Note:
Every nationality has their own type of Slumgullion.This recipe has been passed down.Addition of V-8 juice when it became available on the market. Meat, macaroni, vegetables and spices. Can't get any better than that. A wonderful dish to serve the next day, add more juice if necessary to reheat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g elbow macaroni
- 453.59 g ground beef or 453.59 g ground pork or 453.59 g ground turkey or 453.59 g left over ground cooked roast
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed or 14.78 ml canned garlic
- 1 yellow onions or 1 white onion, fine chopped
- 59.16 ml olive oil or 59.16 ml vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 large carrots, grated (optional)
- 2 (1587.57 g) can diced tomatoes
- 236.59 ml V8 vegetable juice
- 9.85 ml sugar (or Splenda sugar substitute to equal 2 tsps)
- 2.46 ml allspice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, to taste
- hard rolls or bread, to serve
- 1In large stock pot, heat 2quarts of water to boil, add macaroni, stir a few times, cook until a dente about 4 minutes, no longer.
- 2Drain in colander and pour macaroni back in pot.
- 3In medium skillet add oil, meat, onion and garlic.
- 4Brown meat and cook onion and garlic.
- 5Add peppers and carrots, if wanted. Cook about five minutes stirring a few times.
- 6Pour over the drained macaroni.
- 7Add the diced tomatoes.
- 8Add V-8 juice,sugar or Splenda, allspice.
- 9Stir and cook on burner on low for about.
- 1015 minutes, until flavors are blended and hot and bubbly.
- 11Taste, salt and pepper to taste or Mrs. Dash.
- 12Serve in deep bowls.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Slumgullion(A Pot of Garden Bounty)
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 553.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 19.9 g