Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Every nationality has their own type of Slumgullion.This recipe has been passed down.Addition of V-8 juice when it became available on the market. Meat, macaroni, vegetables and spices. Can't get any better than that. A wonderful dish to serve the next day, add more juice if necessary to reheat.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb left over ground cooked roast
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed or 3 teaspoons canned garlic
- 1 yellow onions or 1 white onion, fine chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 large carrots, grated (optional)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or Splenda sugar substitute to equal 2 tsps)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, to taste
- hard rolls or bread, to serve
- In large stock pot, heat 2quarts of water to boil, add macaroni, stir a few times, cook until a dente about 4 minutes, no longer.
- Drain in colander and pour macaroni back in pot.
- In medium skillet add oil, meat, onion and garlic.
- Brown meat and cook onion and garlic.
- Add peppers and carrots, if wanted. Cook about five minutes stirring a few times.
- Pour over the drained macaroni.
- Add the diced tomatoes.
- Add V-8 juice,sugar or Splenda, allspice.
- Stir and cook on burner on low for about.
- 15 minutes, until flavors are blended and hot and bubbly.
- Taste, salt and pepper to taste or Mrs. Dash.
- Serve in deep bowls.