Recipe by Olha
This recipe comes from the Hotel Kaisergarten in Siegen. Today Siegen is a modern town, but its origins are medieval and many of the old houses and churches are still preserved. Siegen’s main claim to fame is that it is the birthplace of Reubens, and its art gallery contains several of his paintings. This is a very tasty cheese soup, most of the food served at the Hotel Kaisergarten is ‘international’. Meat stock is very useful in the preparation of soups and sauces; the quantity given here may seem excessive, but it can be deep frozen and kept at hand for future use.
- 2 onions, cut into julienne strips
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups beef stock (homemade, recipe below)
- 4 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 lbs shin beef, on the bone
- 4 lbs veal knuckle, pieces (cut into 5 cm (2 in.)
- 4 pig's feet
- 4 lbs veal and beef bones (preferably marrow bones, sawn into pieces)
- 2 ounces drippings
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, marjoram)
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 black peppercorns
- 24 cups water (6 litres)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE SOUP: Lightly sauté the onions in the butter, and when light brown, sprinkle with flour.
- Heat the beef stock and slowly pour it over the onions, stirring constantly.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the grated cheese over low heat. Remove from the flame and mix in the egg yolks.
- Combine the cheese with the onions and beef stock., season lightly with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish each one with a Tablespoon of sour cream. Serves 4.
- FOR THE BEEF STOCK: Makes 16 cups (4 litres).
- In large saucepan, place all ingredients, except the bouquet garni, peppercorns and water and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the meat, bones and vegetables have browned slightly.
- Add the bouquet garni and peppercorns.
- Add the water and slowly bring to the boil.
- Simmer 6-8 hours until the liquid is reduced to 16 cups.
- Cool and strain through muslin. Skim off the fat by refrigerating the liquid overnight and removing the congealed fat the next day.
- German Traditional Cooking.