1/1 Photo of German Savory Potato Cake (Kartoffelkuchen)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Germans love to serve rich, savory pastries - especially with potatoes and/or onion. This one is flavored with ham, garlic,and rosemary. This makes a great appetizer or if served with a salad, a nice accompaniment for lunch. This would be nice as a brunch item. Translated directly from the German version I found in "Schoener Essen" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 kg starchy potatoes, divided
- salt & pepper, to taste
- caraway seed, to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 175 g butter or 175 g margarine, divided
- 50 g ham, in small cubes
- 100 g flour
- dry breadcrumbs, for dusting the pan
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely, more to taste
- 250 g sour cream or 250 g creme fraiche
- 5 -6 eggs (medium-large)
- additional sour cream, to garnish
- rosemary, to garnish
- 1Peel and wash the potatoes.
- 2Divide the potatoes into two even portions; take one portion cut them into halves, then place in salted water and cook about 20 minutes, until soft enough to mash.
- 3Shred the remaining raw potatoes.
- 4Place 50 grams of the butter in a heated pan.
- 5Sauté the onion and the ham chunks together in the butter.
- 6Add the shredded potato and turning them over occasionally with a spatula, cook together for about 5-8 minutes.
- 7Remove from the pan and let cool.
- 8Drain the potatoes that have been cooking in the water and mash them (using a potato ricer).
- 9Mix together with the remaining 125 grams of butter, the flour, and some salt & pepper, kneading together to make a dough.
- 10Using the wrapper from your butter, grease a large rectangular rimmed baking tin about 32 x 39 cm in size (or use a rimmed cookie sheet) and then dust pan with breadcrumbs (If you already tossed your wrapper, just grease the pan with a little butter or oil).
- 11Press out the potato dough evenly to form a crust in the pan.
- 12Strip the rosemary leaves from their stems and chop them.
- 13Whisk together the eggs, rosemary, garlic, sour cream, caraway seeds (optional), and combine with the shredded potato mixture.
- 14Season with salt& pepper to taste.
- 15Spread this mixture on top of the potato pastry.
- 16Place on a lower rack in the oven (preheated to around 200°C) and bake approximately 50 minutes.
- 17Cool slightly (about 5-10 minutes), then cut into 16 squares.
- 18Garnish with a small dollop of sour cream and a bit of fresh rosemary, if desired.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Savory Potato Cake (Kartoffelkuchen)
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.8
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.6 mg
- Sodium 149.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: