Recipe by Catte Nappe
DH took me to an Austrian themed restaurant and, as we perused the menu, the table next to us was served. He immediately said "I'll have what they are having!" Unfortunately they were having the last available servings of a house special. He was crushed. The "house" wasn't into sharing their recipe. Just based on "eye-balling" the dish I came up with this, which got the DH seal of approval. Serve with boiled new potatoes, steamed cabbage or spiced red cabbage. We like Baked Latkes #48494 and Dill Green Beans #7767 with this.
Top Review by gailanng
I made this for my husband who must have been German in a previous life. The highlight of any Disneyworld trip is his eating at the German restaurant, if you can imagine that. Well, the verdict....he loved it. He had a glazed look about him while eating. I'll bet he was imagining himself in German food-lust land singing oom-pah in all his glory.
- 4 sausages (assorted bratwurst, knackwurst, weisswurst, wieners, or your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons German mustard (spicy)
- 1 cup onion, chopped into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam sausages 8 to 10 minutes.
- While sausages cool enough to handle, saute onion chunks in oil until they soften.
- Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Slice sausages into large chunks and add to frying pan.
- Saute until sausages begin to brown.
- Return onions to pan, add beer and mustard.
- Stir until mixture is warm.