Recipe by Linorama
This is a hearty, creamy, thick winter delight. Serve with pumpernickel bread. I make this vegan by using Bocca brats, soy milk and soy swiss cheese, and it's absolutely wonderful.
Top Review by KristinB
Very good!! I'll be making this again!! It was nice & hearty--real stick-to-your-ribs good!! Great for a cold winter night!! The only thing I substituted was cheddar cheese for the swiss cheese. Even my picky 2-yr old twins liked it!!
- 1 lb bratwurst, cooked,cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven combine bratwurst, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, and water.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover& simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are nearly tender.
- Stir in cabbage, cook 10 minutes more.
- Stir in 2-1/2 c of the milk.
- Stir remaining 1/2 c milk onto flour; stir into soup.
- Cook & stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.