Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a hearty, creamy, thick winter delight. Serve with pumpernickel bread. I make this vegan by using Bocca brats, soy milk and soy swiss cheese, and it's absolutely wonderful.
- 1 lb bratwurst, cooked,cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- In Dutch oven combine bratwurst, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, and water.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover& simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are nearly tender.
- Stir in cabbage, cook 10 minutes more.
- Stir in 2-1/2 c of the milk.
- Stir remaining 1/2 c milk onto flour; stir into soup.
- Cook & stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Very good!! I'll be making this again!! It was nice & hearty--real stick-to-your-ribs good!! Great for a cold winter night!! The only thing I substituted was cheddar cheese for the swiss cheese. Even my picky 2-yr old twins liked it!!
I have this recipe from another source and have made it for years. It is about the only way to get DH to eat cabbage. I love the taste of the cabbage and swiss cheese. Thanks for sharing!