Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
We can get the little brats that are about the size of your thumb, and that is what I use it just saves you cutting them up and looks nicer when you serve it, it's what I would call comfort food.
- 1 lb fully cooked bratwurst, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large stockpot, combine sausage, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Add water and carrots. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally; then reduce heat. Cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender. Stir in cabbage. Cook 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the milk. In small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup milk with the flour and blend with whisk. Stir this mixture into the soup and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and cook and stir until melted.