Recipe by Karen From Colorado
This very flavorful soup is so good on a cold night served with hot French bread or homemade bread. I found it in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, published in 1981.
- 1 lb fully cooked bratwursts or 1 lb fully cooked knackwurst of frankfurter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine sausage, potatoes, onion, salt, pepper and water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are almost done.
- Stir in cabbage.
- Cook 10 minutes more.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the milk.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup of milk into the flour.
- Stir flour and milk into soup.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted.