Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Taste of Home" magazine. Simple and delicious if you love sauerkraut.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, brown beef with onion.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer apx. 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Really good comfort food for a chilly evening at home. My partner even went back for seconds! I made a few tweaks for our tastes: Subbed one cup of water with white wine, used 1T beef base instead of salt, added 1T dijon mustard, and omitted the caraway seed. Served with my Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois' Daikon and Fennel Salad for a well-rounded meal. Thanks for sharing Lisa! Made and reviewed for My Three Chefs Fall 2008.