2 hrs 30 mins
Sauerfleisch is a highly spiced dish peculiar to the Allgau. You will either love it or hate it, no one ever feels neutral.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fairly lean pork
- 2 lbs onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced carrots
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 20 dried juniper berries
- 30 whole dried peppercorns
- 5 allspice berries
- 10 cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole dried mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole dried coriander
- 3 large bay leaves, crushed
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce or 3 small whole dried hot chili peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram (not powdered)
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt, add more if required before serving
- 1Cut meat in chunks 1 1/2 to 2 inches square.
- 2Cut onions in thin rings.
- 3Add all ingredients to large soup pot with cover and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is very tender.
- 4Put generous helpings of mashed potatoes in soup bowls.
- 5Place the Sauerfleish in the soup bowls then ladle onions and soup over the Sauerfleisch and mashed potatoes.
- 6Serve with soup spoons.
- 7NOTE: The spices in this dish are NOT to be removed before serving.
- 8It is the kaleidoscope of taste that varies from bite to bite as you bite into a coriander seed, a juniper berry or a caraway seed that makes this dish extraordinary.
- 9TYPICAL MENU: SauerfleischSour spiced pork KartoffelpureeMashed potatoes Bier--Beer or RotweinRed Wine Miller's German Cookbook.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for GERMAN-- SAUERFLEISCH---SOUR SPICED PORK
Serving Size: 1 (720 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.9
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 133.8 mg
- Sodium 909.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 50.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: