Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sauerfleisch is a highly spiced dish peculiar to the Allgau. You will either love it or hate it, no one ever feels neutral.
- 3 lbs fairly lean pork
- 2 lbs onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely minced carrots
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 20 dried juniper berries
- 30 whole dried peppercorns
- 5 allspice berries
- 10 cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole dried mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole dried coriander
- 3 large bay leaves, crushed
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce or 3 small whole dried hot chili peppers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram (not powdered)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt, add more if required before serving
- Cut meat in chunks 1 1/2 to 2 inches square.
- Cut onions in thin rings.
- Add all ingredients to large soup pot with cover and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is very tender.
- Put generous helpings of mashed potatoes in soup bowls.
- Place the Sauerfleish in the soup bowls then ladle onions and soup over the Sauerfleisch and mashed potatoes.
- Serve with soup spoons.
- NOTE: The spices in this dish are NOT to be removed before serving.
- It is the kaleidoscope of taste that varies from bite to bite as you bite into a coriander seed, a juniper berry or a caraway seed that makes this dish extraordinary.
- TYPICAL MENU: SauerfleischSour spiced pork KartoffelpureeMashed potatoes Bier--Beer or RotweinRed Wine Miller's German Cookbook.
at first i was a little put off by how many spices there were in this,i thought it would be overwhelming. it ended up wonderful. all the different flavors blended really well. the only things i didn't have were juniper berries and marjoram. with or without i think it still would turn out nice. i wanted the pork to be very tender so i slow cooked it for about 4 hours. i think this helped to mellow out the seasoning quite a bit. when it was done i felt like the sauce was a little too watery so i mixed in a tablespoon of sour-cream. i garnished it with crispy bacon in the end and it added little bites of smoky salty bits. i think this would have also been very good with egg noodles. i added my own spin to it but i think my changes or the original recipe is wonderful. it was very easy to make and i would make this again!