Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The unglazed clay cooker really shines when you use it for less tender meats, such as the rump roast in this German favorite, spicy marinated Sauerbraten. With the sliced beef and shimmering sauce, serve noodles and Old Fashioned Spiced Applesauce. This is my favorite way of cooking. The Spiced Applesauce is delicious either as a simple dessert with cookies or as a side dish for German foods, such as Sauerbraten, this applesauce can be served either warm or chilled.
- 2 1⁄2 cups rhine wine
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, pared, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, cut into slivers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices, mixed whole
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (4 1/2-5 lb) boneless beef rump roast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup dark raisin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 medium tart apples, cored, cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inch)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- FOR THE SPICED APPLESAUCE: Soak top and bottom of a 2-quart unglazed clay cooker in water about 15 minutes; drain.
- Combine all ingredients in cooker.
- Place covered cooker in COLD oven. Set oven at 425°F Bake, stirring once or twice, until apples are very tender, about 45 minutes. Taste and add sugar, if needed. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 3 cups.
- FOR THE SAUERBRATEN: Two to four days before cooking beef, heat wine, onions, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, pickling spices, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and thyme just until about to boil. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar. Pour marinade over roast in deep bowl. Refrigerate covered, turning meat and stirring marinade occasionally, 2 to 4 day’s.
- Soak top and bottom of 3 1/4 quart unglazed clay cooker in water about 15 minutes; drain.
- Place roast, fat side up, in cooker. Stir tomato paste and salt into marinade. Pour marinade over roast.
- Place covered cooker in COLD oven. Set oven at 425°F Bake until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- Pour off cooking liquid. Cover cooker to keep meat warm. Strain cooking liquid; skim and discard fat. Pour liquid into large skillet; stir in raisins. Heat to boiling; remove from heat. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
- Carve roast; spoon sauce over slices. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Clay Cookery.