3 hrs 30 mins
The unglazed clay cooker really shines when you use it for less tender meats, such as the rump roast in this German favorite, spicy marinated Sauerbraten. With the sliced beef and shimmering sauce, serve noodles and Old Fashioned Spiced Applesauce. This is my favorite way of cooking. The Spiced Applesauce is delicious either as a simple dessert with cookies or as a side dish for German foods, such as Sauerbraten, this applesauce can be served either warm or chilled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups rhine wine
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, pared, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, cut into slivers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices, mixed whole
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (4 1/2-5 lb) boneless beef rump roast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup dark raisin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1FOR THE SPICED APPLESAUCE: Soak top and bottom of a 2-quart unglazed clay cooker in water about 15 minutes; drain.
- 2Combine all ingredients in cooker.
- 3Place covered cooker in COLD oven. Set oven at 425°F Bake, stirring once or twice, until apples are very tender, about 45 minutes. Taste and add sugar, if needed. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 3 cups.
- 4FOR THE SAUERBRATEN: Two to four days before cooking beef, heat wine, onions, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, pickling spices, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and thyme just until about to boil. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar. Pour marinade over roast in deep bowl. Refrigerate covered, turning meat and stirring marinade occasionally, 2 to 4 day’s.
- 5Soak top and bottom of 3 1/4 quart unglazed clay cooker in water about 15 minutes; drain.
- 6Place roast, fat side up, in cooker. Stir tomato paste and salt into marinade. Pour marinade over roast.
- 7Place covered cooker in COLD oven. Set oven at 425°F Bake until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- 8Pour off cooking liquid. Cover cooker to keep meat warm. Strain cooking liquid; skim and discard fat. Pour liquid into large skillet; stir in raisins. Heat to boiling; remove from heat. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
- 9Carve roast; spoon sauce over slices. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 10Clay Cookery.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Sauerbraten With Spiced Applesauce Clay Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 861.6
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 214.3 mg
- Sodium 988.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 33.0 g
- Protein 70.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef rump roast