Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Enjoy the rich dark taste of rye bread with this recipe for a traditional German loaf. Time does not include resting / rising.
- 453.59 g rye flour, plus extra for dusting
- 28.34 g fresh yeast
- 264.98 ml water, tepid
- 14.17 g salt
- 4.92 ml malt extract
- 56.69 g butter
- 44.37 ml caraway seeds
- Place 8oz of the rye flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add around 3/4 cup of tepid water and mix it thoroughly to make a thick batter
- Set the dough aside to rest for around 2 hours, until the batter has risen and then fallen.
- Add the remaining flour, remaining tepid water, salt, malt extract, butter and caraway seeds and mix together making a pliable dough.
- Dust the inside of a rye loaf basket with flour. Shape the dough into a loaf and place in the basket. Set aside to rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Place the risen loaf on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Dust lightly with rye flour and bake for 30 minutes.
Excellent! I loved this bread! The flavor was wonderful. Great with dinner still warm from the oven and I cant wait to try it tomorrow with sandwiches!! Added to my favorites file. ZWT6
For some foolish reason I thought this loaf of bread would be around for a while, but in less than 16 hours it was devoured! We thoroughly enjoyed the rye & caraway seed combo & will certainly make this one again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed while touring Germany with ZWT6]