Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another German deli staple. Posted by request.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- Fry bacon in medium-size fry pan until crisp.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add sugar, vinegar, and wine to bacon fat.
- Stir and cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour this hot mixture over the cabbage.
- Toss with vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and caraway seeds.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over mixture.
- Serve at room temperature.