Recipe by Galley Wench
This smells wonderful when it's cooking. Tastes even better! Recipe found on the internet.
Top Review by WiGal
Maybe my cabbage was unusually large but think this would serve many more than 6. I used granny smiths and chicken broth instead of water. I knew from reading the reviews at other site that this was on sweet side so reduced sugar to 1/3 cup but still found it too sweet-1/4 cup like a reviewer here suggested would be better. I made this two days ahead so flavors would meld. The day I served I reheated in crock pot. My slurry was 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot with tight fitting lid, toss together cabbage, apples and onion.
- Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt.
- Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag.
- Add spice bag to pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Remove spice bag. I.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.