Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A kind of baked baseless cheesecake, Quark Kuchen is the German name. This is from an tiny old German baking book. (Quark is of European origin and is something like ricotta cheese or mascarpone cheese, but lighter.)
- 120 g caster sugar
- 100 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 500 g Quark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 60 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Beat together the first seven ingredients till well blended.
- Mix baking powder with flour and sift. Fold into the quark mixture.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan. Pour batter into it.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until top is lightly browned. Remove from heat - it will flop down again when cool; that's normal.
- (Variations: Add small slices of apple, maraschino cherries cut in halves or raisins or cranberries pre-soaked in rum.).