Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was looking for a soup for a really cold day and found several recipes for German Potato Soup (potato soup with dumplings). I decided to try my own version since I am supposed to be on a low cholesterol diet, hence the fat-free milk products and egg substitute.I added the carrot because carrots and potatoes go so well together and I thought it would be fun to try it.The dumplings are similar in taste and texture as fresh egg noodles. This turned out to be the best-tasting potato soup I have ever made and my husband loved it. I hope you do too.
- 2 slices bacon or 2 slices turkey bacon (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 6 cups diced potatoes (about 3 large bakers)
- 32 ounces fat-free chicken broth
- 1 pint fat-free half-and-half
- nonfat milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 large bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- chopped fresh green onions with top
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (e.g. Egg Beaters)
- 2 tablespoons cold water, approximately
- 1 cup flour
- Lightly brown bacon.
- Discard any fat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes,bay leaves,and chicken broth.
- Season to taste.
- Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer slowly.
- Do not cook too hard or potatoes will fall apart.
- While potatoes are coming to a boil mix dumplings: Mix egg substitute and water.
- Add flour and mix until all flour moist.
- This will be in pieces any where from pea-size to quarter size.
- Crumble dumpling pieces on top of soup.
- Cover and simmer for approx.
- 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add fat-free Half& Half.
- Add fat-free milk to desired soup consistency.
- Heat slowly until hot but do not boil.
- Top with fresh chopped green onions to serve.