I was looking for a soup for a really cold day and found several recipes for German Potato Soup (potato soup with dumplings). I decided to try my own version since I am supposed to be on a low cholesterol diet, hence the fat-free milk products and egg substitute.I added the carrot because carrots and potatoes go so well together and I thought it would be fun to try it.The dumplings are similar in taste and texture as fresh egg noodles. This turned out to be the best-tasting potato soup I have ever made and my husband loved it. I hope you do too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon or 2 slices turkey bacon (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 6 cups diced potatoes (about 3 large bakers)
- 32 ounces fat-free chicken broth
- 1 pint fat-free half-and-half
- nonfat milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 large bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- chopped fresh green onions with top
- 1Lightly brown bacon.
- 2Discard any fat.
- 3Add onion and cook until translucent.
- 4Add celery, carrots, potatoes,bay leaves,and chicken broth.
- 5Season to taste.
- 6Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer slowly.
- 7Do not cook too hard or potatoes will fall apart.
- 8While potatoes are coming to a boil mix dumplings: Mix egg substitute and water.
- 9Add flour and mix until all flour moist.
- 10This will be in pieces any where from pea-size to quarter size.
- 11Crumble dumpling pieces on top of soup.
- 12Cover and simmer for approx.
- 1315 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- 14Add fat-free Half& Half.
- 15Add fat-free milk to desired soup consistency.
- 16Heat slowly until hot but do not boil.
- 17Top with fresh chopped green onions to serve.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Potato Soup With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.8 mg
- Sodium 806.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 9.9 g