Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Delicious! Easy dinner served with buns & veggie plate. Can be made vegan and served to vegetarians/pretendatarians/meat eaters :) As well, beef broth can be used in place of vegetable broth.
- 1 onion
- 2 leeks
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb bacon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Chop or shred all vegetables. (I love how the soup looks using shredded vegetables!).
- Place all vegetables and broth in crock pot.
- Stir in bay leaf, pepper, caraway seeds and nutmeg.
- Cover and cook on "Low" for 8 to 10 hours or on "High" for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Mash vegetables (if desired).
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream (if desired).
- Stir in crumbled bacon (if desired).
Wow, I thought this soup was delicious! I put in the bacon and the sour cream and it was super tasty. A real hearty and thick soup, just what you need on a cold day.
I had such high hopes for this soup, as it smelled wonderful as I left the house, but 8 hours later, it did not. I managed to eat some with sour cream added, but no one else would. I could not even salvage the broth - it had an off smell to it. I think that this needs to be cooked for a much shorter time period - maybe an hour or so on top of the stove. The vegetables looked so sad and were unappetizing.