Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A neat vegetarian dish
- 3 1⁄2 lbs Red Bliss potatoes or 3 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned rice vinegar (if using unseasoned, add 1/2 tsp sugar)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked Spanish preferred)
- In a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat, add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and peel while they are as hot as you can handle.
- Cut one-third of them into 1/2 -inch-thick slices directly into a large resealable food storage container.
- Drizzle one-third of the oil over them, then one-third of the vinegar.
- Top the potatoes with one-third each of the onions, salt, pepper and parsley, in that order. Repeat the process twice.
- Sprinkle the salad with the paprika.
- Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate at least overnight.
- Turn the container over for several hours so the juices permeate the potatoes.
- When ready to serve, bring the potato salad to room temperature and serve with a slotted spoon.