Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Well at least it was in our family. This recipe was my grandma's and it's the only one I'll eat (about every 5 years). It's not the most heart healthy recipe in the world, but oh, the memories it brings back. This is how grandma wrote it out.
- 4 lbs uncooked potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 green onions, diced
- Place unpeeled potatoes and water in saucepan and bring to boiling point at high heat.
- Turn to low heat and cover.
- Cook 25 to 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and cut into thin slices.
- Cut bacon into small pieces, brown, then remove from drippings.
- Add more bacon fat to make 1/2 cup.
- Blend sugar, flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add to bacon drippings and stir to make a smooth paste.
- Add vinegar and water.
- Bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Combine the hot sauce, sliced potatoes and onions.
- Let stand at room temperature 2 to 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with bacon pieces just before serving.
Excellent!! I only used 1/8cup of sugar, because I love vinegar, but this recipe is sooo tasty!
Definitely the real deal! I had my neighbors in last night for a German meal and everyone raved about the potato salad, including a neighbor who is German. His wife called this morning to make sure I emailed the recipe. Really, this was fantastic! I baked my bacon for 20 minutes at 400 degrees which is much easier than frying it and the bacon drippings were very clear. This recipe is sure to be in my family for years to come. Thanks Deely!
Simply Delicious! I cooked the potatoes by my own method using more water than the recipe calls requests. I used only 1/4 cup of the bacon drippings and this proved to be ample for flavor. I did go ahead and incorporate the bacon pieces into the salad and added a touch more sugar to the mix. We loved the results! Thank you so much, Deely!