Recipe by Deely
Well at least it was in our family. This recipe was my grandma's and it's the only one I'll eat (about every 5 years). It's not the most heart healthy recipe in the world, but oh, the memories it brings back. This is how grandma wrote it out.
- 4 lbs uncooked potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 green onions, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place unpeeled potatoes and water in saucepan and bring to boiling point at high heat.
- Turn to low heat and cover.
- Cook 25 to 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and cut into thin slices.
- Cut bacon into small pieces, brown, then remove from drippings.
- Add more bacon fat to make 1/2 cup.
- Blend sugar, flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add to bacon drippings and stir to make a smooth paste.
- Add vinegar and water.
- Bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Combine the hot sauce, sliced potatoes and onions.
- Let stand at room temperature 2 to 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with bacon pieces just before serving.