Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delightful classic from a very sweet lady. A refreshing escape from mayonnaise, goes great with BBQ's!
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Boil potatoes till tender, drain, slice and put into large bowl, cover.
- Optional: You can peel potatoes before boiling if you prefer skinless.
- Cook bacon until crisp and drain.
- Saute onion, celery, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and water, stir constantly until thick.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Crumple bacon and mix everything together.
- Refrigerate until mealtime.
This was great! The apple cider vinegar really makes it tasty and unique. People in the German and French houses in my residence hall at UNC Chapel Hill enjoyed this "Kartoffelsalat" very much tonight. Thank you Boje!
It should be noted that about two lbs. of waxy (NOT starchy) potatoes should be used. The flavor of the sauce was excellent.
Taste just like my Grand's! I added a little red pepper with the celery and onion for a little extra flavor. This is a keeper!! Thank you for posting this recipe!