Potato Salad is made differently everywhere, this is how we make it in northern Germany, however I believe it has some russian influence in it.
- 6 new potatoes, cooked in their skin then peeled and cut any old way
- 1⁄2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 100 g smoked sausage, cut into strips (leave this out if you dont want meat)
- 1 large gherkin, cut into halfmoons
- 1 hard-boiled egg, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons brine, from the guerkins
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, mustartd
- white pepper
- sea salt
- Mix the mayonnaise, brine and mustard in a bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatos, sausage,egg, guerkins, parsley and capers and stir gently.
- Right now it will look like the sauce is to thin, but after leaving the Salad to sit for at least 4 hours in the fridge, it will be just perfect.
- It is best if the potatos are still warm, it will help them soak up the dressing and become yummy scrummy.