Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
An old family recipe, that's soooo good it's scary! Even the most timid potato salad eater will love this one!
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- celery seed
- Peel and cut up potatoes and boil until done.
- Drain potatoes and add onion.
- In a small pan fry bacon, DO NOT DRAIN.
- In a heavy saucepan mix flour and sugar.
- To the sauce pan add the water and vinegar (whisk while pouring).
- Boil mixture until clear , should be approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add bacon and drippings to the clear mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour warm mixture over potatoes and add salt, pepper, and celery seed to taste.
- Serve warm.
- *This is how my mom use to make it.I like it a little sweeter so I use scant amounts of salt and almost 2 cups of sugar. You can also keep this warm in a crockpot for potluck dinners.*.
I served this last year for our annual Oktoberfest get together and it was a huge hit! Everyone asked for the recipe and I am making it again this year!
Your recipe was wonderful. I highly recommend it.