Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Last Spring, I ate at The Beach House on Grand Island, NY. They served the best German Potato salad I've ever eaten. This recipe is a combination of several from Zaar, tweeked to my own tastes, and reduced to feed 2 with left overs and comes pretty close to what The Beach House served. If you are looking for a heart healthy and waistline friendly recipe, this is definately NOT it, so plan ahead!
- 4 potatoes (Yukon Gold are best)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard (I used Dijon)
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- Boil the potatoes, let cool, peel, and slice.
- Chop the bacon and saute until nearly cooked.
- Reducing the heat, saute the onions until translucent.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, mustard, mustard seed, tobasco, and celery seed.
- Whisk the flour into the stock, add to pan, and bring to a boil.
- Taste mixture and adjust the sugar and/or vinegar as necessary.
- Add potatoes and serve warm.