Last Spring, I ate at The Beach House on Grand Island, NY. They served the best German Potato salad I've ever eaten. This recipe is a combination of several from Zaar, tweeked to my own tastes, and reduced to feed 2 with left overs and comes pretty close to what The Beach House served. If you are looking for a heart healthy and waistline friendly recipe, this is definately NOT it, so plan ahead!
- Boil the potatoes, let cool, peel, and slice.
- Chop the bacon and saute until nearly cooked.
- Reducing the heat, saute the onions until translucent.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, mustard, mustard seed, tobasco, and celery seed.
- Whisk the flour into the stock, add to pan, and bring to a boil.
- Taste mixture and adjust the sugar and/or vinegar as necessary.
- Add potatoes and serve warm.