The only way to make it!...tastes just like Grandma's! Can be made ahead and kept warm in the crockpot....so yummy:)
- Boil potatoes 10-15 minutes. Drain while making sauce.
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain and crumble. Set aside.
- Fry onion until slightly done in bacon grease.
- Add water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and add 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in a small amount of water.(this will thicken the sauce -- a must!).
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Peel and slice warm potatoes and add to sauce.
- Stir in bacon. Salt and pepper to taste.
I also wanted to mention that this is a Gluten Free recipe which is why I chose it over the other options. Using corn starch to thicken it rather than flour means I can share it with my mom who has celiac's disease. Thanks!
This was the first time in about 25 years that I've had German potato salad. I didn't remember it being so sweet though. I made as instructed except I halved the recipe to feed just the 3 of us. At the end I added sea salt, black pepper & about a 1/4 teaspoon cayenne to counteract the sweetness. The sauce is quite like sweet 'n sour sauce without the maraschino cherry juice & it took a couple bites for all of us to adjust to a hot, no mayo salad, but we did & really, really enjoyed the recipe. Next time I will just reduce the sugar a bit. Thanks for sharing your recipe, busymommybee! Made for Alphabet Chef tag.