Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an oldy but a goody. Got this from my grandmother. Always reminds me of her.
Make and share this German Potato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp; remove and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of drippings; cook onion until tender.
- Stir in flour, blend well.
- Add vinegar and water; cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thick.
- Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Crumble bacon; gently stir in bacon and potatoes.
- Serve warm.
This is a nice, simple German-American style potato salad that tastes just like I expected it to. :) This style of potato salad is nice and vinegar-y, and it reminds me of my childhood and church potlucks (where you could choose from several different family recipes of potato salads all in one sitting). Dill pickle is a nice addition. Although I usually prefer my mom's recipe (cold and with mayo, etc), this recipe is a nice change now and then. Thanks, Friedel!
This recipe needs some adjustment if the measurement on the vinegar is correct or maybe additional seasonings to offset the vinegar. It had much too strong vinegar flavor.
I made this at my husband's request. His mom always made GPS and he thought the ingredients looked right. He was very happy. We both enjoyed the bacon-vinegar flavor with just a little sweet taste. We tried it both warm and cold and I prefered it warm, he liked it either way. My son got in on the action and gave it a thumbs up as well. Thanks!!