Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 mins
Adapted from Miss Hulling's 50th Anniversary Cookbook and published in Post-Dispatch 8/10/05.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 1 hard-boiled egg, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons seasoned vinegar (see recipe)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- To prepare Salad:.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels, reserving fat to use in dressing. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Steam or boil potatoes until tender. Peel and slice thinly while they're still warm. You should have 6 cups of sliced potatoes.
- In a bowl, gently combine potatoes, onion, pimento, egg, parsley, bacon, cider vinegar, and seasoned vinegar. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Dressing:.
- Bring water, vinegar and bacon fat to a boil.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the boiling mixture, stirring vigorously; cook until clear.
- Add dressing to potato mixture; stir gently. Serve hot or warm.