1/2 Photos of German Potato Salad
Chef Porkpie's Note:
This is a delicious dish served hot or cold. I loved it as a child but never learned how to make it until recently. As I usually do, I studied about 20 different recipes I found on Recipezaar and incorporated my favorite aspects of each recipe into my own version. I added one ingredient on my own because I felt it was necessary...GARLIC.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 medium sized potatoes
- 6 ounces center-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs (NOT boiled)
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery, from the heart
- 1/2 cup beef stock or 1/2 cup broth
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 1Cook the potatoes with the jackets on by either boiling or in the microwave.
- 2When they have cooled enough to handle, remove the skins and dice into approximately 1/2" cubes.
- 3Place them into a large bowl and add the chopped celery.
- 4Chop the bacon and mince the garlic finely, and cook them together in a saute pan until the bacon has browned.
- 5Chop the onion and add to the bacon mixture. Saute over med-low heat stirring frequently until the onions start becoming translucent. If you are using dehydrated chopped onion, add it to the next step instead.
- 6Mix together the vinegar, sugar, beef stock, eggs, salt, pepper, mustard and pepper flakes in medium bowl or large measuring cup until the the eggs are well incorporated and the sugar is dissolved.
- 7Add to the pan with the bacon mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbling and thickened.
- 8Pour over the potatoes and mix together well.
- 9Serve now or later, hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.6
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 370.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 6.1 g