Recipe by Chef Porkpie
This is a delicious dish served hot or cold. I loved it as a child but never learned how to make it until recently. As I usually do, I studied about 20 different recipes I found on Recipezaar and incorporated my favorite aspects of each recipe into my own version. I added one ingredient on my own because I felt it was necessary...GARLIC.
Top Review by chefjess819
This was a good recipe as far as taste for german potato salad. But, if you are used to a traditional potato salad , try it in a small batch before making the full recipe. this did have a strong vinegar taste. it was tasty to me, but the rest of my family didnt care for it as much. the only change i made was i sauteed my celery with the bacon when i added my onion into it just to take a little of the crunch off.
- 8 -10 medium sized potatoes
- 6 ounces center-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs (NOT boiled)
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped celery, from the heart
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup broth
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potatoes with the jackets on by either boiling or in the microwave.
- When they have cooled enough to handle, remove the skins and dice into approximately 1/2" cubes.
- Place them into a large bowl and add the chopped celery.
- Chop the bacon and mince the garlic finely, and cook them together in a saute pan until the bacon has browned.
- Chop the onion and add to the bacon mixture. Saute over med-low heat stirring frequently until the onions start becoming translucent. If you are using dehydrated chopped onion, add it to the next step instead.
- Mix together the vinegar, sugar, beef stock, eggs, salt, pepper, mustard and pepper flakes in medium bowl or large measuring cup until the the eggs are well incorporated and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add to the pan with the bacon mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbling and thickened.
- Pour over the potatoes and mix together well.
- Serve now or later, hot or cold.