Recipe by diner524
Posting for ZWT 6 for Germany. Recipe states: German potato pancakes are a real treat and something Germans miss when they move away. Eating freshly made potato pancakes with applesauce in the out-of-doors at a weekly market or carnival is a wonderful way to do indulge. Now, you can also make them at home with this simple recipe for potato pancakes.
- 1 lb potato (about 2 medium or 3 small Russets or other starchy potato)
- 1⁄2 onion
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon salt (start with a lower amount, you can add salt at the table)
- ground pepper
- freshly ground nutmeg (optional and to taste)
- 1 egg
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and grate potatoes (or use frozen or refrigerated hashbrowns). Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out of them into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then drain the liquid, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes.
- Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add dried onion flakes for part or all of the onion, if you like. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a non-stick pan and just a few drops of oil, if you wish, but for best results use 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil.
- Using about 1/2 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon.