Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was passed down from my grandfather to my mother (and I assume someone passed it on to him.) While the grating and frying can be somewhat labor intensive, the results are great. Just make sure to get the oil to the right temperature. My mom can do this like a pro, but I have to admit I am still learning. ;) She also used to occasionally experiment with various additive
- Grate the potatoes.
- I do two on the very fine side and one on the coarser side for the best texture.
- They may turn brown.
- Squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Grate the onion on the finest side and add.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a generous amount of oil (about a half inch deep) in a heavy skillet.
- Drop the mixture in by spoonfuls.
- The tops will get slightly drier and you will see browned edges.
- When this happens flip the pancakes CAREFULLY.
- Serve on their own, or with applesauce or sour cream.