Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Given to me by a German co-worker some time ago, it is actually not hard to make and makes a great dumpling! Prep time doesn't include boiling the potatoes.
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- 236.59 ml flour
- 44.37 ml fine dry breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley or 4.92 ml dried parsley
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- black pepper
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 10 onion-flavored croutons
- all-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1419.54 ml boiling water
- 9.85 ml salt
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29 ml fine dry breadcrumb
- Cook unpeeled potatoes in a small amount of boiling, salted water (about 30 minutes), or until tender, but not mushy; peel potatoes while still warm (but not hot).
- Coarsely mash with a potato masher or use a potato ricer.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup flour with 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, parsley, nutmeg and pepper; add to the potatoes, toss/mix until well blended. Stir in the eggs.
- Using floured hands, shape the potato mixture into 10 balls; insert a crouton into the center of each ball.
- Lightly dust the balls with flour (so they won't stick).
- In a Dutch oven, combine 6 cups boiling water and 1 tsp salt.
- With a spoon carefully drop dumplings into water.
- Cover, and simmer dumplings for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the dumpling, comes out clean (DO NOT LIFT COVER!).
- Remove dumplings with a large slotted spoon to a platter.
- In a saucepan, heat and stir butter until browned; stir in the 1/2 cup bread crumbs, sprinkle over dumplings.
Made for my husband's Bday dinner. He was very pleased. Very easy to make (my first time). I made ahead and reheated to accompany Alton Brown's Sauerbraten recipe. Great texture and flavor. The crouton really makes for a nice flavor in the center. I got about 14 large dumplings. 20 minutes simmering time was spot on. Thanks KittenCal.
This was a very good potato dumpling recipe. They turned out great. I served this with Jaegerschnitzel Jaegerschnitzel. The mushroom sauce went really well with the dumplings. Made for a great dinner.