Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 4 cups water
- 20 ounces chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small (large)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lb processed cheese (Kraft)
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- Peel and prepare vegetables.
- In a large cooking pot, add water, chicken broth, chicken soup base, black pepper, carrots, potatoes, onions and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stirring occasionally.
- Add celery, sweet red pepper and simmer for 5 minutes more. Gradually add mayonnaise to hot soup, whisking until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium and add processed cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese and simmer for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and soup is creamy; stirring constantly.
- Add instant mashed potatoes and stir well.
- Let soup sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- This soup is very rich, but good.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
- Serves 12
Fantastic! Can't think of anything else to call it. Tried it as posted and my wife and I enjoyed it. Will be making again, next time I might try adding some broccoli or turkey bacon to see if things can get any better. Thanks for posting.
Wonderful! I am not a fan of red peppers, so those were left out. Hubby hates carrots, omitted those as well. Used all chicken stock. Did use the mayo, used velvetta for the processed cheese. Did use the cheddar and swiss. The family loved it.
Delicious! I love potato cheese soup, but hadn't ever tried to make any at home. This recipe helped me make the best I've ever had. I followed the recipe exactly. Even my boyfriend, who "doesn't like" this kind of soup chowed down on it. Defininitely a keeper. Thanks Uncle Bill!