Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the ADA Ranch in Cheyenne, WY.
Make and share this German Potato Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 5 slices bacon, crisply cooked & crumbled
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed (3 potatoes)
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 -4 green onions, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (2 oz)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- paprika, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt cheese and butter together over low heat with cream; then add half of bacon and onions.
- Add all Miracle Whip and sour cream.
- Gently fold in potatoes and spoon into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with remaining bacon, onions and spices (spices may be mixed in with the cheese if desired).
- Bake for about 55 minutes.
This was a nice recipe to build off of. I used 3/4 lb Velveeta, 4 tbsp margarine & 1 cup of Hormel real crumbled bacon bits. I added 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 cup of frozen pearl onions, 2 cups of frozen baby peas, 1/2 cup half and half and 1 tbsp of tabasco sauce. I sprinkled paprika over the top. I had to bake it an extra half hour. It turned out very good and creamy. Thanks for the recipe to play with! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
This was very good! Directions were very easy to follow with ingredients I had on-hand. The taste was wonderful and cheesy, and the bacon added a real savory dimension to it. It turned out a little too dry, so next time I might try to add some milk or cream to the cheese as it melts to make it "saucier". Also, I may bake this for 45 minutes instead of an hour, because the bottom got a little burned. All in all, this is a good recipe and very easy to prepare!