Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love the sweetness of the applesauce and the kraut. My grandma was German. You can easily increase the recipe by adding more ingredients. I add baby red potatoes while cooking. Slow cook to roast
- 2 lbs country-style pork ribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can German-style sweet sauerkraut
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a dutch oven, cook ribs and onion till ribs are browned and onion is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over ribs.
- Cover and bake in oven 350 deg for 1 1/2-2hrs or until ribs tender, or place in Nesco or crock pot and cook on low 8 hours.
I made this last night and really liked the addition of the apple sauce. It added just the right about of sweetness to it. Thank for sharing. I've added this recipe to my "keeper" list. :-)
OMG this was delicious! Since we are on the SBD I used Splenda instead of brown sugar, but everything else was left the same. I used boneless country ribs, and browned them in a 450 degree oven with salt and pepper and then made the recipe. The tangy sweetness is so good. Thanks Sandy, this is a winner. Carole in Orlando
Hate sauerkraut - loved this!!