1/2 Photos of German Pork Chops & Potatoes
This is my version of an old family recipe from my German relatives, which started out as what they call Schnitzel. I've added the fried potato part, and it sure is tasty, as with most fattening things. This is not for anyone diet conscious! If you need to add some pounds, this is the recipe for you! Oh, I'm sure someone will figure out how to cut the fat from this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use egg and a tablespoons of water stirred for egg wash in a shallow bowl for dipping pork chops.
- 2Create special bread crumb mix by taking 1-1.5 cups dry bread crumbs (I use Italian flavor, but any will do) - add salt, pepper, garlic powder (I like Lawry's), parmesan cheese, paprika, and lemon pepper - a few shakes of each to color and season crumbs.
- 3Dip pork chops in egg wash, then coat with bread crumb mixture, then place in hot frying pan with a tablespoons or two of garlic olive oil and butter mixed for flavor. Fry till just slightly golden on each side, don't worry about how done they are yet, they will get more cooking later.
- 4Remove pork chops and set to side. Use same frying pan to add sliced onion, and fry with some garlic oil until they turn golden and caramelized. Add sliced potatoes and fry along with onion, seasoning all with salt and pepper as you like.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add fried onion-potatoes to bottom of 9x12 casserole dish. Place browned breaded pork chops on top of potatoes. Cover all tightly with foil.
- 6Place dish with pork chop, potato-onion mixture in oven. Bake covered for about 45 minutes Take off foil.
- 7Can take foil off last few minutes and bake to crisp top a bit, if you like. Pork Chops will be incredibly moist and soft, potatoes will taste sweet and a bit greasy, but in a good way. Flavor from pork chops will have added to potatoes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Pork Chops & Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.3
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 296.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 32.5 g