Recipe by SpchTeachCooks
This is my version of an old family recipe from my German relatives, which started out as what they call Schnitzel. I've added the fried potato part, and it sure is tasty, as with most fattening things. This is not for anyone diet conscious! If you need to add some pounds, this is the recipe for you! Oh, I'm sure someone will figure out how to cut the fat from this.
Top Review by Ransomed by Fire
I made this tonight without the onions, since we usually don't keep them in the house. I also used panko bread crumbs. I did uncover them for the last few minutes of baking, but they ended up a little bit soggy anyways. So, next time, I'm thinking about broiling the chops for a few minutes on each side once everything's done to crisp them up some more. Other than that, this was really good. And I have a feeling I will probably be making it more often than I should. Thanks!
- 4 -6 pork chops (bone-in or boneless, your choice)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (special mix, see notes)
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 lbs potatoes (russet or baking potatoes work well)
- 1 medium onion
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Use egg and a tablespoons of water stirred for egg wash in a shallow bowl for dipping pork chops.
- Create special bread crumb mix by taking 1-1.5 cups dry bread crumbs (I use Italian flavor, but any will do) - add salt, pepper, garlic powder (I like Lawry's), parmesan cheese, paprika, and lemon pepper - a few shakes of each to color and season crumbs.
- Dip pork chops in egg wash, then coat with bread crumb mixture, then place in hot frying pan with a tablespoons or two of garlic olive oil and butter mixed for flavor. Fry till just slightly golden on each side, don't worry about how done they are yet, they will get more cooking later.
- Remove pork chops and set to side. Use same frying pan to add sliced onion, and fry with some garlic oil until they turn golden and caramelized. Add sliced potatoes and fry along with onion, seasoning all with salt and pepper as you like.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add fried onion-potatoes to bottom of 9x12 casserole dish. Place browned breaded pork chops on top of potatoes. Cover all tightly with foil.
- Place dish with pork chop, potato-onion mixture in oven. Bake covered for about 45 minutes Take off foil.
- Can take foil off last few minutes and bake to crisp top a bit, if you like. Pork Chops will be incredibly moist and soft, potatoes will taste sweet and a bit greasy, but in a good way. Flavor from pork chops will have added to potatoes.